There are only two things necessary to sell a home.
Check out Pricing to Sell for insight on how we determine a strategic listing price. Then comes the marketing.
It's a broad term that encompasses the majority of the work we do as an agency to sell your home. As a historically strong listing agency, we subscribe to a method that has consistently produced results for 39 years. Our marketing prep and plan looks like this (see below), with the corner stone being RESEARCH.
Why We Research: Isn't that for the buyer's agent?
No one uses the same house the same way. The first question from a buyer at a showing is typically, what can I do with this? This question addresses "expansion opportunities". They want to know, can I add an apartment over the garage? Can I build a guest house? Can I expand the footprint of the house? Can I add more bedrooms?
Having the answers to these questions is key to appealing to buyers, meeting their needs and solving their problems. There are many times that you cannot actually guarantee that the property will support future expansion, for example, building a guest house. Many town zoning bylaws require that the homeowner apply for a special permit through the zoning board of appeals to determine if a guest house can be permitted. In this situation, we research what the zoning requirements would be in order to apply for a special permit. This is typically info like lot size, setbacks, septic capacity, water source (town or well), among others. Having an actual discussion with the town's building inspector is beyond helpful in getting real insight into a property's expansion opportunities. Providing the buyer with the direction they need to accurately assess the property, and how it can meet their needs, is a powerful piece of marketing. When it happens in real time at a showing, it can be what separates your property from all the other properties they see that day.
- Site Review: Site visit to determine attributes/condition of the Martha's Vineyard property.
- Legal Research: Research owner information, obtain pertinent plans, covenants, restrictions from the Dukes County Registry of Deeds.
- Permit Research: Research historical information in Town records, re building, Board of Health, Conservation Commission, etc.
- Comparative Market Analysis: Analyze current market data to determine fair market value and establish listing price with owner.
- Goal Determination: Consult with owner to determine purpose of sale and goals, review tax ramifications and counsel on available options, i.e. – Section 1031 tax deferred exchange.
- Staging Advice: Assist Seller in preparing property for best possible physical presentation.
- Photography: All photography will be done for marketing and advertising including an aerial photo if the property location and amenities warrant.
- Brochures: Two to eight page brochures include photos, plans, maps and property information, house plans as available – distributed to prospective buyers and cooperating real estate agents.
- Advertising: Written text and placement of all paper and web advertising. Copies of all ads provided to Owner on monthly basis.
- Abutter Notification: Written notification to the adjacent and proximate owners to inform them of the availability of the property.
- Broker Cooperation: Full exposure of subject property to both island and off island real estate agents.
- E-mail Broadcast: An e-mail of the property data sheet will be sent to all 80+ island real estate agencies so that those not yet aware of the property will have the information to share with their own customers immediately.
- LINK Tour: Your Martha's Vineyard property will be shown to cooperating agents at the first LINK (local multiple listing service) tour opportunity. Tours are held on a monthly basis in each town.
- Showings: Full cooperation will be offered to all agents to arrange, Seller or Buyer, showings to their prospective customers. All showings will be arranged and accompanied by the Listing Agent or their assistant. A full record of dates and customer names will be kept for the Seller and show notices will be furnished on a monthly basis.
What sells a house?
- Strategic sale price and strong marketing
How do we develop a strong marketing plan?
- We turn research into material that answers a buyer's questions up front
Why do we, as seller's agents, do the research?
- To answer buyers' questions in real time, making your property stand out amidst an endless list of homes they will consider purchasing
What are the results?
- We sell the most listings on Martha's Vineyard